How Prepared Is Your Business for a Power Outage?
Preparedness is the key to surviving any power outage. Whether it’s a few minutes, or a few hours before the power is restored, you have to be ready when your systems go down. The earlier you plan, and the more up-to-date your plan, the better it is for your small business. To that end, there are some things every small business owner should do and regularly review to ensure that when the lights go out, your business doesn’t go dark.
- Maintain the generator – Always stay on top of generator maintenance. Keep your generator and fuel supply in good repair and your tanks filled and ready to go. Regular maintenance should always ensure that Automatic Transfer Switches, batteries, and other systems are in good condition and free of potential faults that could result in standby generator system malfunction or failure.
- Check the meters and breaker box – Make sure you can access your electric meter and breaker box, and that both are functioning properly. It is also a good idea to keep spare fuses ready to replace any that become damaged.
- Know your needs – Keep your load calculations current. Every time you add new equipment, make sure you know how much power it draws and confirm that you have not exceeded your standby generator’s capabilities.
- Keep flashlights handy – Yes, most people have a flashlight on their phone. But not everyone has this resource, and phone batteries can die. Position several flashlights around and regularly check their batteries.
- Practice, practice, practice – Run practice drills with your personnel that addresses power failure within your business. Whether individuals need to monitor food product temperatures, preserve security system function, or escort customers around your building, regular drills will ensure that everyone knows what to do when the lights go out.
Gen-Tech Helps Small Businesses Succeed!
Most small business owners don’t have an EGSA-certified technician on hand. However, with Gen-Tech small businesses always have one they can call upon for answers and solutions. Our technicians are experts at helping small businesses prepare for potential power loss. We can maintain/repair your standby generator and help you forecast the impact of power loss on your business. We’re available 24/7 and get back to you within minutes of an emergency.
We can perform the preventative standby generator maintenance your business needs, and we can perform comprehensive audits of your power requirements. Our team can inspect and maintain fuel systems, and perform the repairs and replacement services that will ensure that when the lights go out, your business stays open.
We invite you to contact Gen-Tech Power Generation Specialists at (800) 625-8324 to learn more about the ways we help small businesses protect themselves against power outages. We are happy to answer your questions and develop a rock-solid plan of action that will shield your systems, operations, and personnel.